Friday, April 10, 2009

Sad day in baseball

I am not an Angels fan, but when I heard the news about Nick Adenhart I became an Angels supporter. My only thoughts (on top of this being some of the saddest news of the day) was "at least he got to the show." I am keeping this blog generally to keep track of my 3 day progress and my support for breast cancer research, etc. but today I would like to put up some different statistics. These are related to drunk driving. If there is something that is so easy to wipe out, it is drunk driving. There is no reason on this planet for anyone to get behind a wheel of a car, or other motorized vehicle (motorcycle, snow mobile, segway) if that person has been drinking.

The 2007 statitics show that almost 13,000 people in the United States alone died from drunk driving accidents. While this rate is declining, it is still too high. What is sad is that the only reason that we are so aware of this story is because Nick Adenhart was a major league baseball player. This could have been anyone, like the car behind Nick. I have zero sympathy for the driver of the car that survived. ZERO. All I can think is that this guy needs to be locked up in solitary confinement for the rest of his life. He, and all other individuals who have killed someone because of a stupid act like driving drunk, deserves no social interaction ever again.

I hope all of you who read this blog take a moment to think of those who have died unnecessarily because of someone's stupidity.

We will return to happier matters when the weekend is over.

No comments: